DANGEROUS foods

DANGEROUS do not feed your pets these foods!

DANGEROUS “people food” and Commercial Pet Productdo not feed to your pets:

Some foods dogs should not eat and could be deadly

If your dog has ingested any of these foods, get veterinary help immediately.

If your vet doesn’t feel it’s a worry and says JUST TO WATCH THEM I would invest the money and call the

ASPCA Poison Hotline -(888) 426-4435.

A $55 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card. It’s the best investment I’ve personally made as my vet said not to worry just watch my dog overnight. Had I listened to my vet instead of my GUT feeling my dog would be dead now. Another person I know told me that her dog ate a few raisins. She called her vet who said, give some Maalox and it should be fine tomorrow. They went to bed and found the dog DEAD the next morning. Don’t take that chance! Stand up to your vet and if they won’t do something, find one who will.
Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.  As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog.
Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.
Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes
Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.                                                                                                                                    Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general, their high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Exception to this rule seems to be PEANUT BUTTER. However- always use Salt/Sugar free ORGANIC Peanut butter (sugar encourages cancer growth) free . Use only ORGANIC peanut butter as regular peanut butter has lots of toxins and is full of pesticides!

Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.
Bones: Cooked bones can splinter and damage a dog’s internal organs. Raw Bone should always be supervised as a piece can always break off and cause problems. Try frozen oxtails or frozen knuckle bones then take the bone away before the dog can swallow a final small piece whole. It’s a good natural way to clean teeth too.
Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.
Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart.
Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death
Apples, Cherries, Peaches PITS  and similar fruit are great for your dog – HOWEVER, the seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them. It can also become lodged in the intestines and kill the dog in 24 hours with no warning.
Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible. BEST to use ORGANIC EGGS if you do raw. Scrambled lightly is best!
Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems.

Mushrooms: Can be deadly- never let your pets chew on mushrooms found in your yard. Only safe “food” mushrooms are shitaki, maitake and reishi.

Xylitol: even a small amount can cause liver failure and death. Read more at here  and in this article at About.com.

Sugar and Corn Syrups. EVEN ORGANIC IS BAD!  (this does not include Honey or Molasses though they should only be in small amounts and never for cancer dogs)

Read more at the ASPCA website

Food that most dogs can eat:
Some “human” foods are good for dogs. Most of these are healthier than the boxed treats you buy in the grocery store. . This is just a small list of examples of foods dogs can eat, not a list of every food they should eat. Dogs won’t necessarily get all the nutrients they need if they eat these foods exclusively, so check with your veterinarian if you are interested in feeding your dog a home cooked diet.
Any food that causes stomach upsets or digestive problems in your dogs should be avoided. Like people, some dogs cannot tolerate certain foods

Meats:
Meats should be boneless and it’s best if the skin is removed.  Some people like a RAW diet. Some people rather cook. If you cook meat do not over cook. Keep it ‘rare’ so you don’t kill the enzymes.  ESPECIALLY FOR SICK animals. However all Fish and Pork must be well cooked. Also note – totally Raw and cooked diets should never be mixed at the same meal as they digest differently.
Skinless, boneless chicken breast
Skinless, boneless turkey breast
Fish: do not feed TUNA as high mercury content – be careful of small bones.

Do not feed ‘cold cuts‘. They are high in salt and nitrates. Can lead to kidney and digestive problems.

What’s GOOD for your Dog?

Vegetables most are GREAT for your dog and they should have them!
Dogs have shorter digestive tracts than humans and cannot digest most vegetables whole or in large chunks. It’s best to put them through a food processor before giving them to your dog- best veggies for your dog are:
Carrots (for healthy dogs) (not for cancer dogs though as high in sugar)
Green Beans
Lettuce
Yams

Grains:
Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but these foods are generally safe in small amounts
Rice
Bread (not white breads or anything sugar or that converts to sugar) remember the simple rule feed no WHITE colored foods!

Dairy products
Use caution with dairy products as they are high in fat and can cause pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea. Usually, nonfat plain yogurt is safe in small amounts as is cottage cheese in small amounts.

Dangerous & Unhealthy Commercial Dog food treats and foods Rawhides and dog treats- HOOVES and OTHER TREATS: are generally NOT recommended. Most rawhides have chemical that cause cancer .But if you do still want to use them from time to time as a treat it is important that if you do give them that they are of the highest grade and US manufactured. Therefore make sure you buy ones made in the USA and are UNBLEACHED. Do not buy the white ones as they are full of chemicals. Good quality rawhide should only get gooey and gum up when chewed, never chip off. If they chip -the chips can get lodged in the little dip in their esophagus and they can choke on that. As many as 40% of all dogs are allergic to cow skin rawhide chews.

NEVER give COW HOOVES! They splinter and sharp pieces have killed many dogs. Better alternatives are pig ears, nylabones, and American made bully sticks – however ALWAYS be with your pet when they are eating these as there is always a danger of a piece breaking off and splitting. Nylarbones are not detectable on an x-ray. Also when giving Pigs/Cows ears it’s best to give basted or natural – NOT SMOKED. That puts a carcinogenic coating on it. Unbleach/natural lambs ears are another better choice. Always supervise your pet when chewing these types of things.

Greenies – are the latest popular treat to become deadly. It is found that they can be slippery and if a piece slides down the throat the dog can die. Also some animals are having problems digesting. For now we recommend you avoid them till further changes are made.. For more on Rawhides click here. Also supervise any chew treats! Also read labels. Many commercial dog treats contain: BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin & propylene glycol– and corn syrups/sugars that cause cancer. Do NOT use treats with ANY OF THESE THINGS!

SAFE ALTERNATIVES –  KONG TOYS – the 3 hole KONG GOODIE SHIPS our personal favorite and other STUFFABLE HARD RUBBER TOYS. Fill them with frozen meat, cheese, and peanut butter for a long lasting SAFE TREAT! Also give your dog frozen carrots to naturally clean teeth. Organic carrots are best, if not scrub and wash well and then freeze.

Very bad but not ‘dangerous foods and treats include anything with CORN SYRUP** and Sugar. “Cane” sugars and molasses are also not good.. Honey &  Black Strap Molasses is ok in small doses.  Read more on our food page or visit the dogfoodproject. Most treats and food sold in supermarkets are what are making our animals die young and get cancer and diabetes. READ the LABLES!

Corn Syrup** A DOG BECOMES HYPOGLYCEMIC IT IS OKAY CORN SYRUP FOR EMERGENCIES – especially for diabetic dogs.

When in doubt check the web and research before giving any food or just avoid it!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s